On 6/18/02 6:10 PM, Damian Conway wrote:
> Larry has previously mentioned the prospect of Perl 6 module names being
> extended to include version number and author.
>
> If this were to be done, would seem reasonable for the "author" component to
> simply be the author's CPAN username. These are guaranteed unique, are
> frequently mnemonic, are necessary prerequisites for putting a module on the
> CPAN in any case, and also map straight onto email addresses through which
> authors can be contacted.

That's fine for what it is, but I don't think it has the right granularity
for the problem I described in my original post.  If Acme wants to create
custom Acme modules in-house and ensure that they will play well with
modules from anyplace else, they can't very well rely on a CPAN author name
to isolate their namespace.  So they're back to making up their own
convention under Local:: (and risking conflicts with other companies that
try to do the same), or using Acme:: (whoops!  CPAN conflict!), etc.

-John