On 23 Aug 2002 at 22:29, Damian Conway wrote:

> > 2) p3, "This or nothing", Have I got :, ::, and ::: straight?
> >
> > o  :   backtrack fails rule
> No. Backtrack skips the preceding atom.
>
> > o  ::  backtrack fails surrounding group
> Yes.
>
> > o  ::: backtrack fails whole match
> No. Backtrack fails rule.

So, would this be right short explanation:

o       :       backtrack fails preceding atom (as atom fails, it's skipped)
o       ::      backtrack fails surrounding group  (OK)
o       :::     backtrack fails rule   (OK)
o       <commit>        backtrack fails whole match

So even shorter version:
:/::/:::/<commit> makes backtrack fail current atom/group/rule/match.

--
Markus Laire 'malaire' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>