On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 08:59:09PM -0400, Uri Guttman wrote:

>   LW> On 27 Aug 2002, Uri Guttman wrote: : and quoteline might even
>   LW> default to " for its delim which would make : that line:
>   LW> :
>   LW> : my ($fields) = /(<quotelike>|\S+)/;
>
>   LW> That just looks like:
>
>   LW> my $field = /<shellword>/;

> and it would be nice to have a dictionary of builtin rules. :)

my $data = /<xml>/;

It would make 1 liners very powerful.

How long before someone writes that and ships it with parrot?

And the $64,000 question - will the perl regexp engine be faster than
calling expat? Or will they be the same (because the regexp compiler has
certain builtin rules that are actually implemented as calls to C code
(unless they are over-ridden))?

Nicholas Clark
--
Even better than the real thing:        http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/