Simon Cozens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Lazzaro) writes:
>> But our version of "understandable" still means a steep, steep learning
>> curve.
>
> It's worse than that; for practitioners of many languages, the learning
> curve has a 180 degree turn.
>
> Quick: what are the bitwise operators in Java, JavaScript, C, C++,
> C#, Perl 5, PHP, Ruby, and Perl 6? Which of these languages do we
> want to draw programmers from?
>
> Someone will now argue that bitwise operators aren't used very often
> anyway.  Great, so we make a change that bites (NPI) people when
> they least expect it; that makes it all OK.

It rather depends on how common the Superposition operators turn out
to be doesn't it? If you're used to seeing | used to construct a
superposition then you're not quite as likely to go trying to use it
in a bitwise context, but if superpositions turn out not to be a
common idiom then you're more likely to get caught out.

Me? I think once we have convenient quantum operators, we're going to
start using them all over the place, but it could just be that I'm
weird.

--
Piers

   "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a language in
    possession of a rich syntax must be in need of a rewrite."
         -- Jane Austen?