On 2002-10-28 at 16:54:26, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> >The post that started this thread was a complaint about
> >leading 0 meaning octal - which is counterintuitive to everyone the
> >first time they come across it in C or Perl or Java or wherever.
>
> That's not entirely true. Granted the set of the people for whom a
> leading 0 instinctively means octal is not that big (and getting
> smaller due to retirement and death from old age :) but it was
> meaningful at one time.
No, read what I said again.  I guarantee that the *first* time
each of these supposed old codgers came across the leading 0 used
for octal - in whatever context in whatever decade that might have
been  - it was counterintuitive, since it runs against what we're
taught in mathematics from grade school on. :)

--
Mark REED                    | CNN Internet Technology
1 CNN Center Rm SW0831G      | [EMAIL PROTECTED]