--

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 07:13:40
 Damian Conway wrote:

>Yes. That superpositions are going to be so widely used once people
>catch on, that users going to curse us every time they have to
>write C<use ops ':superpositions';> at the start of every scope.

So, I open my inbox and see that it has been stuffed with Perl 6
language. It's like a little gift. :-) But then I see this debate
over the use of superpositions. If there are those who are still
disbelieving then go look at the prior art. Icon is a fine little
programming language (though a little too "pretty" for my tastes)
that uses very similar syntax to what were talking about here. The
big difference is that Icon supports loads of (very nice and clean)
backtracking. | and  & are Icon's || and &&, but Icon's backtracking
gives us a really cool idiom. Superpositions offer us the same thing
in Perl 6. Take a look at Icon over at
http://www.cs.arizona.edu/icon/ . Once I saw it I did a Piers: "This
is something I want in Perl and I want it right now!"