The Perl 6 Summary for the week ending 20021201
    Oh look, it's only Monday evening and Piers has started writing this
    week's summary. What is the world coming to?

    As usual, we start with the internals list.

  C#/Parrot Status
    During last week's discussion of C# and Parrot, Nicholas Clark confessed
    that floating point fills him with fear. Rhys Weatherley attempted to
    assure him by saying that C# doesn't require floating point overflow
    detection. Dan pointed out that, regardless of C#'s needs, we'd need
    overflow detection for our own purposes.

    Gopal V posted a dotgnu.ops file, implementing the conversion ops that
    the DotGNU project needs. Leopold Tötsch dropped unsubtle hints about
    the NEED FOR TESTS and did a certain amount of patch polishing before
    applying it with added tests. Gopal commented that Parrot people make it
    almost too easy. Several other patches to the ops got added in order to
    take into account portability to such common hardware as Crays, PPC and
    ARM.

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?K158255A2

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?X268515A2

  NCI stuff (mostly) done
    Dan offered a few progress reports on the state of the Native Call
    Interface, which is nearing completion, and produced a document on how
    to use it (essentially, you edit call_types.txt). James Mastros
    suggested that a good deal of what was in the post should be included as
    comments at the top of call_types.txt and that maybe call_types.txt.
    should be renamed to something like nci_types.txt.

    Leon Brocard had a go at using this new functionality to call out to
    libSDL but had some problems with it needing to have "libpthread"
    loaded.

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?H278145A2

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?D288125A2

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?C398455A2

  Changes to parrot/docs/jit.pod
    Leo Tötsch committed a few changes to the JIT documentation, which
    caused Nicholas Clark to wonder why some of the behaviour was as
    described. And then my head started hurting. As far as your summarizer
    is concerned, JIT is Really Cool Scary Magic that makes it go faster, so
    I will continue with my shameless handwaving whenever this topic comes
    up. I *think* this thread had something to do with making sure that the
    mapping between parrot registers and hardware registers is efficient.

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?C2A8135A2

Befunge-93? No! Befunge-98!
    Jerome Quelin wondered if the $PARROT/languages/Befunge-93 directory
    could be renamed into $PARROT/languages/befunge because, as soon as
    Parrot supports objects he intends to implement the Befunge 98 specs,
    and a Befunge 98 interpreter can be used to interpret Befunge 93 code.
    Jerome's wish was Robert Spier's Command, and the directory has now been
    moved. Nicholas Clark muttered something about subversion and VMS (where
    subversion is a CVS replacement which, amongst other things, allows you
    to rename directories without causing confusion.)

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?P3B8215A2

  This week's patches
    For the first time in quite a while this week, several people gave Leo
    Tötsch a run for his money in `most patches to Parrot' stakes.

    Patches to Parrot this week include:

    *   More JIT changes: Register usage array, block allocation

        Leo has been doing more magic with the JIT system, but Daniel
        Grunblatt raised a query about "ALLOCATE_REGISTER_ALWAYS".

    *   Config test for i386 fcomip

        Leo added a test to see if the fcomip operation is available to the
        JIT system.

    *   Use IMCC instead of assemble.pl

        Jürgen Bömmels has hacked IMCC to accept normal .pasm files. This
        leads to dramatic (350%) speed increases in assembly, but causes
        several of the tests to fail because IMCC has no macro support.
        Jürgen intends to add macro support to IMCC if this approach proves
        acceptable. Leo liked it a lot, suggesting that, until IMCC gets
        native macros it should be possible to use assemble.pl's
        preprocessor option to get macro free .pasm files. The patch was
        applied.

    *   Introducing debug features in Befunge

        Jerome Quelin patched the Befunge interpreter to add the beginnings
        of real debugger support. He threatens a `fully-functional debugger
        within the Befunge interpreter with breakpoints, dumping the
        playfield, status line and more'. Nicholas Clark was scared, but
        applied the patch anyway.

        Jerome later supplied a patch adding single stepping, playfield
        dumping an a rudimentary UI. If Nicholas Clark was still scared he
        didn't show it, and applied the patch.

    *   Replace 'perl' with 'parrot' in the PDDs

        Alin Iacob noticed that, in several places, the PDDs (Parrot Design
        Documents) use 'Perl' where they should probably use 'Parrot', and
        submitted a patch to fix things.

    *   Long double support in i386/Linux JIT

        Leo supplied a patch fixing the `long double issue' in the
        i386/Linux JIT core.

    On rereading that list I see that Leo is still comfortably in the lead
    as most prolific patcher. Somehow it didn't seem that way during the
    week.

  Multiarray usage
    Jerome Quelin wanted to use multiarrays but couldn't understand how they
    work, so he asked the list. Leo Tötsch provided a pile of answers and a
    short discussion ensued. I think Jerome chose to use a PerlArray of
    PerlArrays in the end. Leo pointed out that multiarrays come into their
    own for 'big packed arrays'.

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?U2C8435A2

Meanwhile, in perl6-language
    By gum but you American chaps take Thanksgiving seriously don't you?
    There was grand total of 32 messages in perl6-language this week. I have
    the feeling I could just concatenate them and this section would be no
    longer than the usual perl6-language summary. But that would be the
    wrong kind of Lazy.

  Dynamic Scoping
    The discussion of Ralph Mellor's proposal about dynamic scoping and
    implicit argument passing continued. In response to last week's summary
    Ralph clarified that he suggested implicit argument passing as a way of
    eliminating globals; the perceived thread safety thing was beside the
    point.

    Back in the thread (and in a post I discussed last week, my filtering is
    obviously confused), Larry provided some clarifications and suggested
    extensions to the currying mechanism which would address some of Ralph's
    concerns. Ralph responded with a pile of posts and suggested extending
    the currying idea still further.

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?O24852592

  Status Summary; next steps
    Michael Lazzaro posted a summary of where the perl6-documentation people
    had got to and a list of `next Big Deals'. Bryan C. Warnock pointed out
    that almost all of the Big Deals should really be discussed on
    perl6-language rather than perl6-documentation and wondered again about
    the scope of perl6-documentation and how it differs from perl6-language.
    Larry told us that "p6d and p6l just have different deliverables. p6l is
    looking at the elephant from above, while p6d is looking at the elephant
    from below. But it's the same elephant. (Unless it's a camel.)". Larry
    also addressed the Big Deals.

    Michael also posted his ideas about what the documentation list was for
    and where was the appropriate place to discuss things. Bryan worried
    that p6d was in danger of trying to go faster than the design of the
    language and asked that the documentation list "refrain from rampant
    p6l-ish speculation." He went on to suggest that people be kind to
    Piers, which was nice of him. In a later post, he offered *his* vision
    of what the difference between the lists should be. In another
    subthread, Garrett Goebel offered his vision too (obviously a 'vision'
    week).

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?O1D8225A2

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?C2E8115A2 -- Larry's vision

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?E2F8325A2 -- Michael's vision

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?H409355A2 -- Bryan's vision

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W219315A2 - Garrett's vision

  Just wondering...
    Piers Cawley pointed out that it's nearly 6 months since the last
    Apocalypse, and wondered when we could expect the next one. Larry
    reckons it'd be a lot faster if we'd stop asking interesting questions.
    Apparently he was planning to have a draft out this week, but made the
    mistake of buying the extended Fellowship of the Ring DVD set, so that
    was him out of commission for a few days. Hopefully we'll see something
    within the next week or so (before Christmas, please...) but the timing
    is dependent on whether Gloria's family played games Larry likes over
    Thanksgiving. (So far in the current week, Larry hasn't said whether he
    played games or did design.) Jonathan Scott Duff asked for the email
    addresses of Larry's in-laws so he could ask them to play the
    appropriate games.

    And this précis is now almost longer than the original thread...

In Brief
    Bryan Hundven wondered about writing an entire Operating System on top
    of Parrot. At least, I *think* that's what he wondered about.

    Everybody ignored Leon's nabirfuck patch. (You know, I think I may be
    misspelling the wrong bit of that...)

    The Documentation group finished up their work on numeric literals and
    started work on string literals.

Who's Who in Perl 6?
    Who are you?
        Zach Lipton, [zach at zachlipton dot com]

    What do you do for/with Perl 6?
        I'm the maintainer of tinderbox (http://tinderbox.perl.org) and
        percy (the annoying little ircbot on #parrot who tells people when
        tinderbox status changes I also attempt to get bonsai to work on
        perl.org to make the lives of many others much easier. Occasionally,
        I tinker with configure and the testing suite, but rarely get
        anything useful to happen.

    Where are you coming from?
        I'm mostly coming from the Mozilla project where I do a wide amount
        of various miscellaneous stuff including working on Bugzilla and
        Technology Evangelism (no, not televangelism you may continue your
        religion). Oh yes, mustn't forget school, the, erm, uh, um, most
        important place where I learn all sorts of interesting things.

    When do you think Perl 6 will be released?
        What? You mean that there is more to Perl 6 than Parrot?

    Why are you doing this?
        It's great to be able to help out with such a great project and give
        back to the Perl community. Also, it's great experience and just
        plain fun.

    You have 5 words. Describe yourself.
        Um, erm, hi, uh, yea!

    Do you have anything to declare?
        I promise, I will eventually have bonsai completely installed on
        perl.org and working correctly!

Acknowledgements
    It's been a quiet week this week, presumably because of Thanksgiving,
    and I'm writing this on Tuesday morning, still on the train, which has
    been very unusual of late.

    Proofreading services were once again provided by Aspell and me. Any
    errors should be laid at the door of Kevin Atkinson, the author of
    Aspell.

    I've been seeing a little more mail about Perl 6 this week, including a
    set of questionnaire answers from Abigail that I was tempted to push up
    to the front of the queue this week, but which I think I'll save for
    later. Speaking of the questionnaire, the answer queue currently
    contains only three posts, so if you'd like to answer the questions Zach
    just answered and send them to me at <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> I'd be
    grateful.

    Several people have pointed out that my autogenerated URLs for messages
    in perl6-documentation don't actually work. Apparently google isn't yet
    picking that group up, so this week I don't provide any links to
    messages in the documentation list. It's my understanding that, as they
    produce final docs these will be available from some fixed website, yet
    to be decided on. Once that's set up I'll start linking to that.

    Time for the chorus again:

    If you didn't like this summary, what are you doing still reading it? If
    you did like it, please consider one or both of the following options:

    *   Send money to the Perl Foundation at
        http://donate.perl-foundation.org/ and help support the ongoing
        development of Perl 6.

    *   Send feedback, flames, money and/or a trip to Japan to
        <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

    The fee paid for publication of these summaries on perl.com is paid
    directly to the Perl Foundation.

--
Piers

   "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a language in
    possession of a rich syntax must be in need of a rewrite."
         -- Jane Austen?