Simon Cozens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Deborah Ariel Pickett) writes:
>> About this point was when my brain when "a ha!".  But I'm not yet
>> convinced that generating all possible parses is (a) of sane time
>> complexity, and (b) a little *too* DWIM for its own good.
>
> As I said, I wasn't sure whether or not I was being serious at this point.

>> > Oh, bringing in multimethods Just Isn't Fair.
>>
>> Those are multimethods?  Migod, I feel like a person who's just
>> discovered for the first time in their life that the plate that gets
>> passed around in church is for putting money *onto*.
>
> Oh, if you have a method which does X when it gets one argument and does
> Y when it gets another, I'd call that a multimethod. But then, I am no
> OO wizard.

I believe what Deborah is talking about is a special case of a
multimethod. Real multimethods get to dispatch on more than just the
first argument, but if you have real multimethods then function
overloading just falls out.

--
Piers

   "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a language in
    possession of a rich syntax must be in need of a rewrite."
         -- Jane Austen?