--- Michael Lazzaro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm more worried about storing them than creating them.  The good
> thing
> about using memaddresses is that they're free; you don't need to
> store
> a separate ID in each and every object you ever create, on the off
> chance that something will want to use it.
>
> Having an actual internal ID associated with every object would mean
> you'd have to store all those IDs, which could get very big very
> fast.
> I think the odds of you wanting a truly unique ID for any given class
>
> are so low that we'd probably be better off leaving it as a DIY
> project.

Not necessarily. People who don't know any better can use .memaddr (or
some other unique-internally method that needs only one opcode). People
who use .id are either going to be paying too-high a price for their
simple comparisons, or are going to want to pay the price.

The information itself could be attached as a property, so every object
doesn't have to pay the 16 bytes of overhead.

=Austin