On Wednesday, November 06, 2002, at 11:54 AM, Michael Lazzaro wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 5, 2002, at 11:18  PM, Allison Randal wrote:
> > Since you're interested in the management of the Perl 6 project, I'll
> > let you in on some of it. Let's start with a step back into a bit of
> > history:
>
> OK, let me pause for a second...  pause, pause, pause... OK, I'm better
> now.  Please forgive me, I'm going to be quite forceful in my
> evaluation of the situation here.  To the point of making a Simon C.
> post look mellow.  Get ready for some spectacular virtual
> coffee-mug-throwing here.

I'm replying to your coffee-mug-throwing posting *very* late simply because
I got so far behind on p6l that I had >1000 unread messages. Largely because
of the "hellacious thread reworking operators." I just now got caught up to
November 6th.

I just want you to know how much I personally appreciate your efforts. I
agree that we need to be creating some unified description of the current
status. I'd be interested in helping, but one reading of your summary
convinced me that I can't write anywhere near as well as you do. And, of
course, it is discouraging to think about putting that much effort into a
language description when that language is shifting so wildly, often on a
day-to-day basis.

Now, just before Christmas, I archived my unread heap, and starting time
slicing between current postings and my archive. So I can see you're still
actively participating in p6l, and I'm glad to see that. I still have
November 6th-December 24th to read, so I don't yet know how others responded
to your outburst. But it made me realize two things: (1) I don't want you to
get discouraged, and (2) I haven't given you any feedback (let alone,
appreciative feedback).

You have been among the handful of posters whose messages I look forward to.
Your messages are a breath of fresh air -- an island of sanity -- amid the
quicksand shiftings of p6l. So please accept my thanks for the tremendous
amount of time and productive thought you are sharing with us.

And now, my unread pl6 archive has been reduced to 772 messages. Sigh. I
wish I could beat back my anal-retentive tendencies long enough to be
satisfied with the fine Piers Cawley summaries. But always want the
fine-grained detail, too....

=thom
Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing.
  --Dr. Jubal Harshaw (Robert Heinlein's _To_Sail_Beyond_the_Sunset_)