[Note:  I originally sent this to Mr. Nobody alone, but that wasn't my
intent.  I'm re-sending it here, where I wanted it to go in the first
place. -- bmb]

Mr. Nobody wrote:

trigraphs are actually better, even if you are unicode capable. ~> is
far
easier to type than ctrl-u-15F9E2A01 or whatever it is.
Maybe, maybe not....  On my machine right now, it is very easy for me to
type various accented letters, like a, e, etc, making words like resume
(or is that resume) nearly as fast to type as the non-accented version
resume.

I can also type ???? or ???? relatively easily as well.  (I have
no idea how well those will be transmitted on this list.  I typed
"hiragana" using the hiragana script, and "katakana" in katakana, two of
the standard character sets of Japan.  I'm not sure why I have my
computer at work set up to allow me to input Japanese, since I'm not ?
?? nor do I speak ???)

But the techniques for typing in funky characters is well known, and easy.

Most likely, in the future when I have to work in Perl 6, my editor will
be set up so that typing the Unicode squiggly-arrow character will be as
simple as typing the two characters '~' and '>', just like typing a
Spanish N is as easy as typing '~' and 'N' right now.