From: Piers Cawley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Garrett Goebel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > $idx_of_foo = $queue['foo']; # named lookup
> > $nth_foo    = $queue[600];   # ordered lookup
> >
> > One is SvPOK the other SvIOK...
> >
> > Can't we handle both and still have the ordered lookup be fast?
[...]
> YOU CAN'T USE THE TYPE OF THE 'INDEX' OBJECT TO DETERMINE
> WHETHER YOU'RE DOING A HASHLIKE OR AN ARRAYLIKE LOOKUP. As
> Dan pointed out ages ago.

Got it.

Conflating indexed and named lookups (creating a syntactic homonym), isn't
desirable or reasonably feasible. If we went down that route, it'd wind up
being more confusing, self-limiting, breed complexity in a response to
resolve the over-simplification, and drag down performance. Or probably
better left at "not desirable".

Or for the extremely thick:
  GOOD: Separate syntax for indexed vs. named lookups
  BAD:  Same syntax with >= 2 contextual meanings

Apologies for revisiting the graveyard of bad ideas and contributing
negatively to the signal to noise ratio. I too have great difficulty in
keeping up with the list. For the most part, I tend to read the replies of
the more enlightened to others' questions, comments, and proposals. How
Damian, our most prolific, found the time to sift through so much I don't
know.

<out-of-place-rant>
I'm disappointed that The Perl Foundation (TPF) has been so quiet and
unresponsive on support for our core language designers and architects. I
dropped a note to all the TPF contacts over a week ago, and have yet to
receive a reply. It is a sad state of affairs when a language as prevalent
as Perl and with such a strong sense of community can be so disorganized and
lacking when it comes to financial sustenance.
</out-of-place-rant>