Michael Lazzaro asked:

Are you concerned about having an C<is default()> spelling at all

No, not at all. It really is a shorthand for a trait, after all, so it should
almost certainly have a trait name. Besides, C<is default> is probably needed for non-parameter variables too:

        my %nickname is default("Bruce") = (
                Wall    => 'Wierd Al',
                Lazzaro => 'Big Mike',
                Khan    => 'Ghengy",
        );

print "We'd better just call you %nickname{$name}\n";

or just about optional placements of C<=>? I agree that the C<is constant = 1> vs. C<= 1 is constant> is a potential point of confusion, and probably not worth the grief.

Yes, that's my concern.

I agree. As long as it's not C<is slurpy>!

Damian