At 12:05 PM -0600 3/24/03, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 09:34:23AM -0800, Larry Wall wrote:
The purpose of a state variable is to keep state across multiple calls
to the same scope, so I'd say the proper semantics on closures is
to treat the generation of a closure as a new block with new state properties.
The most useful initialization semantics appear to be "just in time",
that is, on first actual call to the generated closure. START time
in my previous message, though I'm still unhappy with that name.
FIRST would be better, but that's taken (this week).

ENTER? Possibly with a corresponding LEAVE?

Argh, more semantics to deal with.

Since I'd as soon not encourage this, how about INSTANTIATE? Nice and long and therefore discouraging. :)
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk