[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edwin Steiner) writes:
> Well, it's a bike shed.

Perhaps best not to have people expend lots of energy painting bike sheds
until the nuclear reactor's anywhere near functional, though.

I think the whole thing can be done, in whatever style people would like,
using whatever natty syntax, by means of $( ), overloaded string constants,
or, heaven forbid, a purpose-built grammar rule override for double-quoted
strings.

When we have any one of those things.

And I would go so far as to say that since we have proposals for three
different ways to allow people to do it precisely how they like, we don't need
to discuss a way to do it in the core language. At least, certainly not yet.

But then I'm one of those freaks who likes the idea of keeping core Perl 6
generic, extensible, clean and small, and letting all the clever stuff go
into extensions, a heretical position which is way out of favour with the
more influential listfolk, so feel free to ignore my opinion.

> But it is a bike shed people use all the time.

Agreed, I suppose.

 % grep printf cvs/modules/**/*pm | wc -l
     15
 % grep -v printf cvs/modules/**/*pm | wc -l
  15360

Well, 0.1% agreed, anyway.

--
Putting a square peg into a round hole can be worthwhile if you don't mind a
few shavings. -- Larry Wall