Piers Cawley wrote:

  Small Perl task for the interested
    Want to get involved in the Parrot development process? Don't know much
    about Virtual Machine design and implementation? Do know Perl? Dan has a
    small but interesting task for you.

    At present, Parrot gets built without any compiler level optimizations
    turned on because files like tsq.c can't have any optimizations turned
    on (tsq.c is the thread safe queue module, which is "annoyingly
    execution-order-dependent because it has to operate safely as interrupt
    code potentially interrupting itself").

    Dan would like a version of Configure.pl which can build a makefile (or
    whatever build tool we end up using) with per-C-file compiler flags, and
    it needs to be possible to override those flags, per file, by the
    platform configuration module.

Hmm, I'm only a lurker, but that looks *very* suspect to me. Some compilers may choose to reorder even without optimization turned on. I'd say that it is a bug in Parrot if it requires optimization to be off for this code - how many different compilers have you tried?

--
Alan Burlison