On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 03:00:54PM +0100, Alberto Manuel Brand?o Sim?es wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 14:49, Simon Cozens wrote:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alberto Manuel Brandão simões) writes:
> > > The question is simple, and Dan can have the same problem (or him or
> > > Larry). I am thinking on a Perl 6 book in portuguese (maybe only a
> > > tutorial... but who knows). But that means I must write something which
> > > will work :-)
> >
> > Just a hint: don't try writing it and revising it as the language changes.
> > I wrote a Perl 6 chapter for a book in December and it is now almost unusable
> > due to the pace of change.
>
> Yes. That's why I'm asking :-) I can start looking to apocalypses and
> exegesis to have an idea of the structure and content, but not really
> write them. I would need a running prototype, too. And that's more
> difficult to find :)

Well, you can always find prototypical pieces in perl 5. For instance,
Perl6::Classes, Perl6::Currying, Perl6::Rules, etc. (note, you may have
to pull that last one out of Damian's head :-)

But it looks to me like most of the major syntactic elements are
fairly stable.  So you should be able to pull stuff out of the
Apocalypses and Exegeses and at least be within a few degrees of
accuracy.

Besides you could always provide online updates to your book as the
language changes. The first (dead tree) edition would be the rough cut,
and later editions would be closer to reality as the language stablizes.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
[EMAIL PROTECTED]