On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 03:30:06PM -0600, Luke Palmer wrote:
> The focus here, I think, is the following problem class:
>
>     sub twenty_five() { 25 }    # Optimized to inline
>     sub foo() {
>         print twenty_five;      # Inlined
>         &twenty_five := { 36 };
>         print twenty_five;      # Uh oh, inlined from before
>     }
>
> The problem is we need to somehow un-optimize while we're running.  That
> is most likely a very very hard thing to do, so another solution is
> probably needed.

A naive approach would be to cache the names and positions of things
that are optimized such that when one of the cached things are
modified, the optimization could be replaced with either another
optimization (as in the case above) or an instruction to execute some
other code (when we can't optimize the change).

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
[EMAIL PROTECTED]