Lars Balker Rasmussen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> The Perl 6 Summarizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>     Me? I think Perl 6's design 'in the large' will be pretty much
>>     done once Apocalypse 12 and its corresponding Exegesis are
>>     finished. Of course, the devil is in the details, but I don't
>>     doubt that the hoped for existence of a working Perl6::Rules by
>>     the end of April is going to provide us with a great deal of
>>     the leverage we need to get a working Perl 6 alpha ready for
>>     OSCON with something rather more solid ready by the end of the
>>     year. Parrot continues to amaze and delight with its progress;
>>     Dan tells me that he's about ready to roll out a large parrot
>>     based application for his employers, so it's approaching the
>>     point where people's salaries will depend on Parrot. I confess
>>     I wouldn't be surprised if, by the end of the year, we haven't
>>     seen the full implementation of at least one of the big
>>     non-Perl scripting languages on top of Parrot.
>
> I'm confused, are you optimistic or pessimistic in that last sentence?

Optimistic. Parrot being used for other languages too is a good
thing. We're not going to see a full Perl 6 inside a year 'cos the
design won't be finished (well, not at the detailed level it needs to
be for a full implementation) and Ponie probably won't be finished
because of the complexities of getting the backwards compatilibility
with XS that's Ponie's raison d'etre. But there are other languages
out there that don't have such stringent requirements.

--
Beware the Perl 6 early morning joggers -- Allison Randal