Damian Conway writes:

> Larry mused:
>
> > ... I don't think people would be terribly pleased when they see
> > things like:
> >
> >     @a &raquo;+<<&laquo; @b
>
> > [it] would certainly motivate people to move toward editors and
> > terminals that can display:
> >
> >     @a »+<<« @b
>
> Yes, it would be an excellent motivation in that direction. But, then,
> so would *not* providing any ASCII-based alternative in the first
> place.

If we go that far it will just put people off completely.  Providing
people with an easy upgrade path is good motivation; purposefully making
life hard for un-upgraded people can be counter-productive: people can
take offence at it, or dismiss Perl 6 as elitist and impractical, or ...

Also I note that Luke Palmer recently wrote:

> Luke Palmer writes:
> > Scott Walters writes:
> > > This would lend itself a P5 backport that did overload on its
> > > argument, too. If it found that the thing on the right hand side
> > > was also overloaded into the same class, it is could use a single
> > > iterator on both sides, otherwise it would treat the 2nd argument
> > > as a scalar. This would solve the "single iterator per line"
> > > problem for p5 atleast. It would work correctly. Any number of
> > > vectorized arrays could be floating around in an expression, each
> > > interacting with each other correctly.
> >
> > Of course you mean "?interacting with? other correctly." :-)
>
> Grr!  That ruined that joke!  I'd better get this unicode thing figured
> out before Perl 6 is released.
>
>     »interacting with« other correctly.

If Luke can't easily get it right, I'm not convinced other people will
bother ..

Smylers