On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 01:04:01AM -0700, Luke Palmer wrote:
: This is pattern matching more than it is type comparison.  And Perl's
: all about pattern matching. I'm just wondering whether it needs I<two>
: pattern archetectures.

I suspect it does, at least from the viewpoint of mere mortals.  The
regex engine is built around the notion of ordered rules, whereas the
multi dispatch engine is designed to run rules in order of "distance".
I think we'll have done good enough if the regex engine can be used at
runtime against a list of actual argument types.  The regex engine is
allowed to have deep, powerful nooks, after all.  People are trained
not to expect to understand patterns on first glance.  But I a strong
gut feeling that the dispatch engine needs to remain transparent to
casual readers--or there will never be any casual readers of Perl 6.

Of course, someone will doubtless attempt this unification, since a
single "use" can turn Perl into another language.  It's just not a
language I would have bothered to learn 25 years ago...

Larry