Richard Nuttall suggested:

An alternative is to have "fill rightmost gaps" and "fill leftmost gaps" on
alternate lines. This produces more balanced looking columns, so they don't all look heavier on the left.

That's a *very* interesting idea. What do people think?

For example:

    Now is the winter of our  discontent  /  Made
    glorious summer by this sun of  York;  /  And
    all the clouds that lour'd upon our  house  /
    In the deep bosom of the ocean buried. /  Now
    are our brows bound with victorious  wreaths;
    / Our bruised arms hung up for  monuments;  /
    Our stern alarums changed to merry  meetings,
    /  Our   dreadful   marches   to   delightful
    measures. Grim-visaged war hath smooth'd  his
    wrinkled  front;  /  And  now,   instead   of
    mounting barded steeds / To fright the  souls
    of fearful adversaries, / He capers nimbly in
    a lady's chamber.

vs:

    Now is the winter of our  discontent  /  Made
    glorious  summer  by  this sun of York; / And
    all the clouds that lour'd upon our  house  /
    In  the deep bosom of the ocean buried. / Now
    are our brows bound with victorious  wreaths;
    /  Our  bruised arms hung up for monuments; /
    Our stern alarums changed to merry  meetings,
    /   Our   dreadful   marches   to  delightful
    measures. Grim-visaged war hath smooth'd  his
    wrinkled   front;   /  And  now,  instead  of
    mounting barded steeds / To fright the  souls
    of fearful adversaries, / He capers nimbly in
    a lady's chamber.

Or:

    I think one of the outstanding features of OO
    Perl is that is allows  you  to  approach  OO
    with the same mindset as you're  used  to  in
    another language. By that I mean that you can
    write OO Perl that's similar in structure and
    operation to a C++ program, or OO Perl that's
    very like Smalltalk, or OO Perl  that  mimics
    Self,  or  CLOS,  or  Eiffel.  I  once   even
    implemented a Perl module that added  Python-
    esque scoping-by-indentation. In other words,
    whatever brand of OO you're  used  to  using,
    you can stick with it when you move to  Perl.
    Eventually you  discover  that  your  notions
    about what OO actually is have been stretched
    and challenged so often that you've developed
    an entirely  new  understanding  of  what  OO
    truly is -- your own OO mindset. But  there's
    another  important   aspect   to   all   that
    flexibility. Because it can accommodate  such
    a wide range of approaches, as you  become  a
    more accomplished  OO  programmer  Perl  also
    lets you select the most appropriate  mindset
    -- or mindsets! -- for a particular  problem.
    If you need OO closures in  one  application,
    and  interfaces  in  another,  and  prototype
    cloning in a third, you can implement each in
    Perl. And if you need closures and interfaces
    and cloning and inheritance polymorphism  and
    objects  that  can  change  their  class  and
    classes that  can  modify  their  inheritance
    hierarchies, all in the same application,  in
    Perl you can do that too.  So,  although  you
    don't  need  to  approach  OO  Perl  with   a
    different  mindset,  after  a  while   you're
    almost certain to discover one. I don't  know
    of any other programming  language  that  can
    give you that.

vs:

[...]

Damian