On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 10:06:23PM +0200, Juerd wrote:

> If on your keyboard ` is in a worse place than {}, I'd like to know
> where it is.
>
> Juerd

Very top row, one space right of the F12 key.  Extremely awkward.
(This is a US keyboard on a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop.)

Please put me down as strongly against this idea because:

1) ` looks like it should be a bracketing operator
2) In some fonts, ` is hard to see.
3) In some fonts, ` is hard to disambiguate from ' if you can see it.
4) This argument has not been made strongly enough to make me want to
     give up one of the few remaining single character operators
     (remaining, anyway, if @Larry decides that ` should get an
     independent existence as a unary operator).
5) I use `` in short utility scripts all the time, and would hate to
     lose it.  To anyone who says that that is dangerous and should be
     discouraged--my machine, my code, my problem.  (And I work for
     myself, so I am the only one who will be maintaining it.)

Actually, what I'd like to know is when it was decided that %hash{key}
meant %hash{key()}??  Was it in one of the Apocalypses?  I missed that
and would like to go back and read the reason for it, since I suspect
that, given a single-term expression in a hash subscript, it is far
more likely to be a literal than a function call.  It seems that that
is really the source of the entire 'problem' that this thread
addresses.

--Dks