On 2004-04-16 at 00:25:51, Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon wrote:
> Number of keystrokes isn't our only concern here.  This is Perl, not
> APL--we care about the size of the language and its intuitiveness too.
> (Perhaps not much, but we do.)

In any case, Perl is far more typable than APL unless you have an APL keyboard
*and* lots of experience using it.   There's more to typability than
number of keystrokes. :)

> It's also worth noting that, except for Javascript, every language I can
> think of uses paired characters for indexing.

JavaScript does, too.  foo.bar is a special case only usable for literal
keys that fit the lexical category of word; the usual subscript operator
is [] (foo.bar is equivalent to foo['bar']).

> Visual Basic (ugh) uses ().

Hey, don't blame Visual Basic for that.  It inherited it from non-visual
BASIC, which in turn inherited it from FORTRAN, which was designed to run
on systems with 6-bit character sets that had no other brackets. :)

> I'm not arguing that your syntax isn't shorter or easier to type.  I'm
> arguing that shorter and easier to type aren't enough to justify it.

Agreed.

> To make my position clear:  WE DO NOT NEED THREE WAYS TO INDEX A HASH.
> I don't really think we need two.  All we really need is one way with a
> good enough syntax to meet all of our needs.

Amen.

-Mark