Larry Wall skribis 2004-04-16 11:50 (-0700):
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 07:12:44PM +0200, Juerd wrote:
> : Except for the shocking number of closed-minded people on this list.
> You seem to be one of them.  From my point of view, you've had your
> ego plastered all over this proposal from the start, and no one can
> disagree with it without becoming your enemy.  Please consider that
> some people may have thought about your proposal a long time before
> weighing in.  Myself, I'm still thinking about it.  Please don't call
> me "closed-minded" if I decide against it, however.  There are many
> considerations to weigh, and nobody is going to give them all the
> same weight.

I think there is a misunderstanding about when I think someone is
not open-minded. "shocking number" was exaggeration.

To clarify: only when someone disagrees based on only that "it has not
been done before" or "other languages don't do it", I think they should
be more open.

When you decide, it will not be based only on emotion. Personal taste
will of course influence the decision, but everyone can tell that you at
least considered it thoroughly, looking at more than just a few aspects.

Clearly, indeed some people have thought about it for a long time before
responding. But they are probably not the people I call closed-minded.

However, I could be guessing badly. It could be that someone who says
Perl 6 should not have a third syntax because there are already two
really has thought about it. We have many ways of saying "foo() if not
$bar" in Perl 5 and I use most of them. I like that in Perl, and hope
that in Perl 6 there will still be more than one way to do it.

Anyone can disagree without becoming my enemy. None of the people who
have contributed to this discussion are my enemy. I am thankful for
every message, because they all either tell me why the proposals are not
liked, or that my original post should have been more clear.

I cannot and will not argue about the 'ugliness' of the backtick.
Nevertheless, I do think that this is an important issue. If most find
it ugly, then implementing this in the core is probably a bad idea.

Juerd