Jared Rhine wrote:

I haven't yet seen an example presented where using a Unicode
operator would save keystrokes, for instance.

That depends entirely on how you plan to generate them. If you are relying on a special command in your editor of choice, yes, the ASCII equiv is fewer keystrokes. If, however, you remap your keyboard (easily doable in X and Win32, I'd assume Macs can as well), then the common Unicode characters are an AltGr away. Thus, « one shifted keystroke (AltGr-[), << is two shifted keystrokes (Shift-, Shift-,).

-- Rod Adams