In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry Wall) wrote:

>On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 10:52:34AM -0500, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
>:          :u0         # use bytes       (. is byte)
>:          :u1         # level 1 support (. is codepoint)
>:          :u2         # level 1 support (. is grapheme)
>:          :u3         # level 1 support (. is language dependent)
>
>These modifiers might get renamed to match whatever b/c/g/w convention
>we come up with pragmas.  The levels aren't all that intuitive, though
>there is a kind of progression of semantic complexity that would get
>lost with ordinary names.

                            bytes
                           codepts
                          graphemes
                         langdepends

That's a kind of progression.  And "codepts" seems a natural enough
abbreviation, though I don't really know what to do with language_
dependent_thingummies.  Though with less typing, the initials b < c < g < l
give the same progression.

     -David "except for encodings where c<b, of course...." Green