Larry Wall wrote:

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 12:52:56PM -0700, Larry Wall wrote:
: Unfortunately, the only obvious one, 's', is taken.

I remind myself that 'S' is equally obvious, and not taken.  Like _,
it suffers from spacing issues, but could be the ASCII backup for
the § character.  (As Y is likely to be the ASCII backup for ¥.
Maybe Y is the nylon zipper operator.)

Hmm. Gotta decided if S$foo.bar() is too ugly to live though...

It is.

I still kinda like underscore.

How about "scalar"? The fact that one person, one time, came up with a need to invoke it doesn't mean we have to race it up the huffman tree. P6 is winning the DWIM race most of the time contextually. Maybe [#] as a macro, if you like.

=Austin