Luke Palmer wrote:

On the other hand, Larry had a good point.  Why couldn't we do:

=begin table
=end table

For some sufficiently simple ...? Obviously this gives the formatter
control over how the table is formatted, which is arguably a bad thing
since it won't be implemented (POD tools are mostly lazy about that kind
of thing).

There's nothing wrong with that. For long tables it would be more efficient, but for shorter tables it would be a tad more cumbersome. The only thing I wanted to avoid (like the plague) was an C<=>-introduced set of table elements like C<=cell> and so on. That would lead to a very anti-POD visual breakdown.

So I'm starting to like it. I do think that it should be left aligned,
as it'll be verbatim text if it's indented. We might want a =begin/=end
table around it anyway, to avoid making the formatters do too much
bookkeeping.

A begin/end would also allow for paragraphs inside of table elements. You get to decide if that's a good or bad thing ;-)