On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 09:44:54PM -0400, John Siracusa wrote:

> Finally, platform independent execution of any packaged or precompiled
> single file will *require* cooperation (core support) from the perl
> executable itself.  PAR is neat, but it doesn't even match up that well with
> JAR, which allows the same file to work everywhere Java works.  I just don't

I'm confused here - specifically what can cause a PAR file not to run
anywhere? The only reason I can think of is that it contains bundled up
platform-specific shared libraries. Which means non-core C code. As long
as perl lets you link in C code it's going to have to be pre-compiled for
your platform. I can't see how JAR could avoid this problem if JAR were
used for anything other than pure Java bytecode.

Nicholas Clark