Matthew Walton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> James Mastros wrote:
>> Larry Wall wrote:
>>> Well, yes, but sometimes the weights change over time, so it doesn't
>>> hurt (much) to reevaluate occasionally.  But in this case, I think I
>>> still prefer to attach the "exotic" characters to the exotic behaviors,
>>> and leave the angles with their customary uses.
>> ...of which they have plenty already.  Backtick has exactly one, and
>> not an often-used one at that... I'm fine with axing it.  Of course,
>> there are a lot more people in the world then just me.
>
> I'm fine with it too. I use it a fair bit but I think it's important
> to have a very clear mark where you're going to an external program

Not when you're writing a quick one-liner.  Maybe stdout capturing
backticks should be disallowed when using strict, but allowed on the
command line.[1]

Will system return stdout in string context?

Jon

Footnotes:
[1]  I wonder if there is a reason for disliking backticks besides it
     being surprising to C and Java programmers?