chromatic skribis 2005-03-26  2:13 (-0800):
> No.  Please, no.  :)
> As I see it, Perl 6 has a chance to start over with a very small set of
> core libraries -- perhaps embarrassingly small -- so as not to entomb
> our current, potentially-blepharitic guesses at good Perl 6 design
> principles for the next twenty years or so.
> If people really want File::Find or MakeMaker interface compatibility in
> Perl 6, I suggest a new top-level namespace, namely
> GodHelpYou::File::Find, though P5Compat may be less exciting and more
> appropriate.

Perhaps good administration would be to introduce a generic Deprecated::
namespace. Module authors can move their own old modules there if they
want, and there can be Deprecated::P5 for stuff like dbmopen,
Deprecated::Perl5::File::Find.

Deprecated::Perl5 could export everything it has to Deprecated, with a
symbol group ("tag"), so you can

    use Deprecated :perl5;

and even

    use Deprecated :all;

And Perl can have built-in warnings, as one huge refactoring of all
those warnings you'd otherwise have. The 'deprecated' category should
warn for use of any symbol in Deprecated::.

    use warnings :deprecated;
    no warnings :deprecated;

(Explicit 'use Deprecated' would export symbols, and because then the
symbols are used from ::, no warning is emited.)

Juerd