On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 16:41, Larry Wall wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 03:55:23PM -0400, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> : but if you use vim or emacs inside a terminal, you'll want to make sure
> : it's in iso-latin-1 mode (e.g. in gnome-terminal, you have to use the
> : menu: "Terminal->Set Character Encoding")
>
> If you going to that trouble, at least try your terminal's utf-8
> mode to see if it works.  If it does, you can also see things like
> â or æå, not to mention Î and Ï.  Vim supports utf-8; dunno
> about emacs.

The default mode for my vim was Latin-1. I was being lazy because I knew
how to tell gnome-terminal to do Latin-1, but I have no clue how to tell
vim to display and save UTF-8. I'm sure it's easy enough though.

On second thought... do I really want to have to figure out:

        $pie â= $face;

or is that:

        $pieââ;