On Apr 12, 2005 12:20 AM, gcomnz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Rod wrote:
> > However, I do like the idea of treating a string as an array of chars. I
> > remember some discussion a while back about making [] on strings do
> > something useful (but not the same thing as C<substr>), but I forget how
> > it ended, and my brain is too fried to go hunt it down. But overall I
> > like that idea. Then you could just say:
> >
> >     @array = $string[];
>
> This all sounds nice and simple. My only question then is what about
> the instances where you specifically need the array of graphs, codes,
> bytes, or whatever? If we can do one, why not all?

That's why C<$string.chars[]> was proposed -- it would be accompanied
by .graphs, .codes, and .bytes. That is all fine and dandy, but I
don't think I should have to think about unicode if i don't want to.
And if I understand correctly, that means that I want everything to
use chars by default. And C<$string[]> would be a nice shortcut for
that.

--
matt diephouse
http://matt.diephouse.com