In writing some character class translation, I realized that

    <-[a-z]>

and its ilk are rather hard to read because of the two hyphens
that mean different things.  We can't use <![a-z]> because that's a
0-width lookahead.  Given that we're trying to get rid of special
exceptions, and - in character classes is weird, and we already
use .. for ranges everywhere else, and nobody is going to put a
repeated character into a character class, I'm wondering if

    <-[a..z]>

should be allowed/encouraged/required.  It greatly improves the
readability in my estimation.  The only problem with requiring .. is
that people *will* write <[a-z]> out of habit, and we would probably
have to outlaw the - form for many years before everyone would get
used to the .. form.  So maybe we allow - but warn if not backslashed.

Larry