I¹m only an amateur linguist, but from a linguistic point of view, there are
several related terms in this space.

The term ³subject² has many meanings in English, including ³topic².  But
from a grammatical and linguistic standpoint, there are only two meanings of
³subject², and ³topic² is a distinct term.

One meaning of ³subject² is specific to the grammar of a given language,
such as English, in which we have ³subjects² and ³objects².  The more
general linguistic term is usually capitalized (³Subject²) and even more
usually abbreviated as ³S²; it refers only to what we call the subject of an
intransitive verb.  What we call the subject of a transitive verb is more
generally called the ³Agent², or ³A², and what we call the direct object of
a transitive verb is more generally called a ³Patient², or ³P².  Different
languages group S, A, and P differently in how they are treated by the
grammar; English, like most European languages, lumps S and A together and
separates P; such languages are called ³nominative-accusative² (or just
³accusative²) languages.

Then you have ³topic² and ³focus², which are closely related.  Basically,
the focus is the main thing that you¹re talking about in a given sentence,
and is usually introduced by that sentence.  The topic is a known quantity
under discussion.  So you frequently have the focus of one sentence ­ which
may or may not be its subject - being the topic for subsequent discussion.

Example:

A) I went to the game yesterday.
B) While there, I saw Smoltz strike out 15 batters.

The grammatical subject of sentence A is ³I²,  and it is actually a Subject
in SAP terms.  But the focus is the game.  The definite article implies that
the listener knows which game is being discussed, but it¹s still being
introduced as a new element here.  If there is a topic, we don¹t know what
it is.

The grammatical subject of B is still ³I², but this time it¹s an Agent; the
Patient is an action (Smoltz striking out 15 batters), and that action is
also the focus.  But  the topic is the game.