  LW> multi sub opensocket (
  LW> Str +$mode = 'rw',
  LW> Str +$encoding = 'auto',
  LW> Str [EMAIL PROTECTED]) returns IO;
  >>
  >> and how will that support async (non-blocking) connects? or listen
  >> sockets?

  AS> This is why named aliases for constructors are a bad idea. Nice theory,
  AS> but bad idea.

i am in agreement there. but i am advocating for a proper set of args
for socket connections regardless of the name of the sub/method. it
could even be in io() provided there is a way to note it is a socket
connect/listen and also pass it named args. larry already agreed with
the named arguments point.

  AS> Unless the language allows us to specify that a sub IS an alias for a
  AS> constructor, e.g.:

  AS>   sub opensocket := IO::Socket.new;

  AS> Why? Because IO::Socket.new takes parameters that are built out of its
  AS> entire inheritance tree, so a change to IO::Handle might radically
  AS> modify the signature of the constructor.

makes sense. we should look at the p5 IO:: tree and see what we want to
salvage/savage from it as well as io::all. each has its good and bad
points and hopefully we can figure out which is which. :)

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -------- http://www.stemsystems.com