Luke Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 5/6/05, J Matisse Enzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I've become scared that if Perl is to continue to be viable for large,
>> complex, multi-developer projects that the tools need to serious
>> catch-up with what is available for Java, for example. Things like:
>>
>>    - Refactoring Support (see http://www.refactoring.com/)
>>    - CVS and/or Subversion integration
>>    - Support for integrating regression tests and auto-building
>>    - Automated syntax and dependency checking
>>
>> I've been using Eclipse, with the EPIC plugin
>> (http://e-p-i-c.sourceforge.net/) and so far I like it. It uses
>> Devel::Refactor to support "extract subroutine", but a lot more is
>> needed to match what you can do with Java these days.
>>
>> What are others' thoughts on this?
>
> I think you're absolutely right.  Perl should have an IDE with
> Eclipse-like context-sensitivity and refactoring support.  However,
> it's hardly in Perl's philosophy or interest to bless one.
>
> One thing is for sure.  Perl 6 is providing enough introspection and
> parsing capabilities to make it possible to write a context-sensitive
> IDE, unlike Perl 5 (well, Perl 5 made it *possible*, I suppose, but
> Perl 6 will make it obvious).  Perl 6 is exposing its whole grammar at
> the language level, so you can say "give me a syntax tree for this
> chunk of code" and it will.  Even if there are modules that change the
> syntax with macros (though your editor might have trouble
> understanding what the macros mean).

One of the 'mental apps' that's been pushing some of the things I've been
asking for in Perl 6's introspection system is a combined
refactoring/debugging/editing environment for the language. One of the
annoyances of the 'only perl can parse Perl' thing is not so much the truth of
the statement, but that perl 5 doesn't allow you to ask about the parsed code
in ways that would be useful for an IDE. Perl 6 promises to change that -- it
should be possible to either write a fantastic Perl 6 IDE in perl itself, or to
write a codegrokker object that can be used by some pre existing IDE.

> In other words, Perl 6 is open to the possibility of such an IDE, and
> is going to provide the machinery necessary to build a really good
> one, but I doubt it will become a development milestone.

What about the debugger?