On 5/28/05, Rob Kinyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> (This thread is referencing http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=461105)
>
> I'd like to start writing the Module::Build/ExtUtils::MakeMaker for
> Pugs. One of the first things that was mentioned was that the syntax
> for use needs to support specifying the exact version or range of
> versions you want to have. There has also been mention of the fact
> that module installation needs to tag the author, as well as other
> features.
>
> Would someone please mind listing all the functionality desired for
> module installation as seen from "use"?

Note: I've read S11. I was asking more for the backstory.

1) Does this mean that there can be two different Dog-1.2.1, one by
cpan:JRANDOM and another by cpan:KRANDOM?
2) Is @INC still searched in order, providing the first one that
matches the full specification?

Some related questions:
1) Is it possible for "use" to expose the functionality it uses to
find the right module to other modules? For example, the module
installer I want to write would have to have that logic and I'd rather
not duplicate it.
2) That functionality I referred to - theorbtwo on Perlmonks asked for
the ability to provide mixins that would direct how some of the
functionality worked. Would this be possible?
3) The P6 version of XS - will it be handled at the VM level or the
Perl level? I'm assuming the VM level, which then leads to:
4) "use" and non-Perl code - One of the touted things about using
Parrot is that a P6 program will be able to access code in any
language that targets Parrot. How on earth will that work?
5) Mixed-language distributions - how should a P6 distro builder
handle that? How should a P6 distro installer handle that? How should
C6PAN handle that?
6) Is there a useful distinction to be made between modules/classes
and distributions? I think there is when discussing uninstalling. I
install Dog and it provides Dog::Retriever. If I uninstall Dog, it
should also uninstall Dog::Retriever.
7) This leads to the thought that a distribution should have a name
separate from any of the components within it. I expect that, like URI
or Template Toolkit, there will be a component in the distribution
that has the same name as the distro, but that will be custom and not
law.

Sorry for the self-reply, but I realized I hadn't provided enough information.

Thanks,
Rob