On May 31, 2005, at 2:22 PM, Rob Kinyon wrote:
     my ($launch_date = now() + 6 weeks) but time(9am);

Sure. $launch_date is of type DateTime. It will numify to the
seconds-since-the-epoch, stringify to some date string, and provide
all the neat-o-keen methods you want it to have.

Works for me.

Frankly, I think we're in violent agreement here.

Sounds like it. I don't really care if it's built in or comes in a module. I do think that date manipulation is common enough that, if it's in a module, the module should come in the "basic set".

I met a guy once who made his living doing Java programming. I asked him what he liked about Java and he said "Nothing. I hate it. I only do it because it pays." He then went on to list the reasons he hated it--high on the list was that Java is not good at date manipulation. Personally, I've done so little Java that I can't really speak to the accuracy of his statements, but the message has stuck with me--date manipulation is important, and needs to be got right.

To put it another way--it's one of those hard things that Perl 6 is trying to make easy.

--Dks