Hi,

I'm busy with creating a widget based web templating engine, but I have some problems, please help me. The engine would allow you to define widgets, and use those in your templates. I would like it to be an OO module.

In the template, you can write this:

 <server:input id="name" width="100px" maxlength="64" important="yes" />

When the template engine read it, it will call a subroutine:

 call_a_sub_for_input(id=>'name', width=>'100px', maxlength=>'64',
                      important=>'yes');

What this sub gives back, will be put into the output. I hope, you got the idea.

I have the code, that can parse the template, and the code, that would call the widget, so no problems with it. I don't know, how to put it together. I don't know, how should the programmer define a new widget, how it would be the most nicer way? How it can be detected by the template engine? I don't want a register function, like this:

$wte = new WTE;
$wte.register('input', &my_input_widget);

I don't prefer it, to be 20-30 register line in my programs, that does nothing, just register.

It would be OK, to just define a global subroutine, and allow the template engine to call widget_$name if it reads a widget, but...

sub widget_input(*%params) {

It's not nice. Maybe something like this?

new_widget :input => {
        return "<input />";
}

It's almost a register function, but it's more compact, and I like it. But if I would like to get parameters from the widget caller, how can I manage it? Is it possible to call this new noname sub with parameters, and get it easily inside the sub, for example like this:?

new_widget :input => {
        my $name = _something_{'id'};
        return '<input name="' ~ $name ~ '" />';
}

And I have more questions, but that's enough for this mail. Did you got my problem?

Bye,
  Andras