RE: Placeholders: since DBIv1 already supports both forms of
PH's, I see no reason to deprecate or abandon either form.
Furthermore, to my knowledge, none of (ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET)
has abandonded or deprecated the ? form, so I don't see
the need for DBI to.

RE: LOBs and "SQL Parse Trees": having recently implemented
LOB support for a JDBC driver (and soon for a DBD), I can assure
you that SQL parse trees are unneeded to support them. For databases
robust enough to support LOBs, they'll almost always provide
sufficient metadata info and/or SQL syntax to manipulate them;
only databases which don't support LOBs have that difficulty.
Furthermore, a quick review of the current DBI will indicate that
Mssr. Bunce has already implemented some stub methods for
generalized support.

RE: SQL Parse Trees (or other non-SQL query input)

Since none of (ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET) seems compelled to
impose this concept on driver writers, I don't see why
DBI should be the vanguard.

However, implementing a subclass of DBI to support it
seems technically feasible, so I'd suggest that
those of you championing this requirement implement one
on DBI v1. Feel free to use DBIx::Chart to bootstrap
your project. As the proponents of this notion
are so generous with their requirements for those of us
who develop DBI drivers and/or contribute
development efforts to the DBI itself, I'm sure they won't
object if I provide a few requirements:

1. For DBI drivers which support them, your subclass
must support
        - arbitrary numbers and levels of JOINs (including
        various outer, and non-equijoins)
        - arbitrarily nested subqueries (including correlated)
        - HAVING and GROUP BY clauses
        - ORDER and LIMIT clauses
        - updatable cursors
        - database-specific SQL extensions

2. It must function with current versions of 40% of DBD's
created or updated on CPAN since Jan. 1, 2003. Said 40%
must include
        - DBD::ODBC
        - DBD::Oracle
        - DBD::Pg
        - DBD::MySQL
        - DBD::CSV
        - one 'exotic' driver (e.g.,
                DBD::iPod or DBD::Amazon, but excluding DBD::Google,
                whose syntax is too simplistic for a meaningful test)

(FWIW: Past experience (e.g., execute_array()) leads me to believe
Mssr. Bunce's requirements are likely much higher than 40%, so
"choose wisely, grasshopper")

BTW: If you need a list of DBD's meeting said requirement, let me know,
I just pulled one down.

3. It cannot require any changes to either DBI or the
selected DBD's.

4. It must produce a database-independent conforming set of error codes
(feel free to use SQLSTATE aka $h->state)

5. It must be uploaded to CPAN, and list, and demonstrably function against,
the DBD's selected in requirement (2) above.

Once you've implemented the subclass, you'll have empirical proof
of the feasibility, and, more importantly, you'll be able to port
the subclass to DBIv2, without any additional burden on DBI
developers.

Regards,
Dean Arnold
Presicient Corp.