On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Dave Rolsky wrote:
Type Validation, "isa", & "can"

Params::Validate allows for several ways to check the _value_ of a parameter. One way is to specify a primitive type like "SCALAR" or "ARRAYREF". In P6 we have that with this:

sub date (Scalar +$year is required, ...)

I'm not sure is "Scalar" is a valid type though, but that's ok because we have better types built in. In this case we should really use "Int" for a year.

And another question. How will I make Perl6 not do automatic coercion for me. If I have this sub:

 sub date (Int +$year is required, +$month, +$day)

and someone does this:

 date('this year', 12, 1);

I'd prefer for this to fail, rather than giving me 0000-12-01! I vaguely remember a mention of "use strict 'types'" either on this list or hanging out with some pugs folks at YAPC.

-dave