The Perl 6 Summary for the week ending 2005-10-09
    Hello, and welcome to the first Perl 6 Summary to be published on my
    website rather than its former home at <http://www.perl.com/>

This week in perl6-compiler
  PGE error on failing subrules
    Allison broke the resounding silence of the last two weeks by posting
    about some PGE errors she was seeing. No reply yet.

    <http://xrl.us/hx2j>

  Tests converted from pugs' rules.t to Parrot::Test::PGE
    Yuval Kogman announced that he'd written a script to convert pugs's
    rules tests into Parrot tests. The resulting test suite still needs some
    attention, and he outlined what was needed. No response so far on the
    list.

    <http://xrl.us/hx2k>

Meanwhile, in perl6-internals
  Variable registers
    Klaas-Jan Stol wondered about how the new lexical scheme was going to
    work. In particular, he wanted to know what was happening to
    scratchpads. Leo gave a very brief overview of the new scheme, which
    uses register frames for static lexicals and more conventional
    scratchpads for dynamic lexicals. As I understand it, they'll look
    pretty much the same from the PIR writer's point of view. Leo promised a
    PDD from Chip in the nearish future which would thrash out the details.

    <http://xrl.us/hx2m>

  Exception handlers and calling conventions
    Roger Browne wanted to know if exception handling had changed at the
    same time as the calling conventions. He presented some code that
    behaved differently depending on the Parrot version. Leo replied that
    exceptions still wind up in P5 and Roger had found a bug. So Leo fixed
    it.

    <http://xrl.us/hx2n>

  Parrot 0.3.0 TODO
    Having successfully got Parrot building on his Cygwin installation,
    Robert Eaglestone was casting around for something to do and listed a
    few possibilities. Will Coleda replied that he'd quite like to see a
    working Parrot equivalent to Perl 5's $0.

    <http://xrl.us/hx2o>

  Parrot 0.3.0 and Tru64
    Jarkko Hietaniemi posted a bunch of issues with Parrot on the Tru64
    architecture. Leo addressed them. I'm not sure they're all fixed yet
    though.

  TCL - Compiling
    Will Coleda announced that ParTcl is now a compiler. Some tests are
    failing but Will claimed that this is because Jerry Gay was getting
    bored with all the tests passing. Jerry was delighted. As Will said
    later in the thread, the current iteration is doing the bare minimum
    needed to be called a compiler, but of course that will change over
    time. Good work Will.

    <http://xrl.us/hx2p>

  BROKEN.pod
    Hey, now he's no longer my editor, I don't have to worry about making
    sure I don't put his name at the beginning of a sentence! Anyhow,
    chromatic posted a first cut at BROKEN.pod, the big list of broken
    stuff. There followed some discussion of how this should be organised in
    the future, particularly on the RT side. After discussion, it was
    decided to keep it as a single file for now, but to aim for generating
    it from multiple RT tickets in the future.

    <http://xrl.us/hx2q>

  Stack call directives are deprecated
    Using ".param", ".arg", ".return", ".result" and "call" to do stack
    based calling conventions is now deprecated. Use "save", "restore",
    "bsr" and "ret" instead. Or, ideally, use the standard Parrot calling
    conventions.

    <http://xrl.us/hx2r>

  Deprecation of rx ops
    Brent Royal-Gordon confirmed that he was happy enough to see his
    experimental regular expression specific ops removed from Parrot.

    They've not been removed yet, but they're certainly deprecated.

    <http://xrl.us/hx2s>

  Software Architecture of Parrot
    Klaas-Jan Stol informed us that his Software Architecture professor had
    approved his proposal to write a paper on the architecture of Parrot. He
    outlined his plans for the paper and hoped that he would be able to
    count on people for proof-reading when the time came. Leo thought it was
    a marvellous idea (so do I come to that, but I didn't say anything on
    the list.)

    <http://xrl.us/hx2t>

  ParTcl command line options, etc
    Will Coleda kept us abreast of his progress with ParTcl in this thread,
    initially announcing the new "-e" flag which allowed for writing one
    liners. After a certain amount of havering before a final interface
    arrived, ParTcl also acquired a --pir flag, which dumps the results of
    compilation to a PIR file.

    <http://xrl.us/hx2u>

  BASIC compiler
    Will Coleda (does the man never sleep?) announced that the BASIC
    compiler is (sort of) working again with Parrot 0.3.0. There are still
    problems with the windows display code (the offending code is simply
    commented out), but code that doesn't need that appears to be working
    now. He noted that BASIC could really use a decent test suite, right now
    he was simply working to get programs like eliza2.bas and wumpus.bas
    working, which is okay as far as it goes, but he is sure that some parts
    of the language remain broken.

    <http://xrl.us/hx2v>

Meanwhile, in perl6-language
  "my $key is sensitive"
    While working on implementing a cipher framework for Perl 6, Brent
    Royal-Gordon realised it'd be really useful if he could mark a variable
    as 'sensitive' or 'secret', which would force the language to overwrite
    the memory used by the variable before deallocating it and to try and
    avoid swapping the value out to disk. There was some discussion -- some
    favourable, some not -- and a suggestion to refer the question to
    perl6-compiler.

    <http://xrl.us/hx2w>

  "zip": stop when and where?
    The zip "¥" operator's dead simple isn't it? You just do

        @a ¥ @b # @a[0], @b[0], @a[1], @b[1], @a[2], @b[2] ...

    Well, yes. And no.

    Juerd asked what zip should do given 1..3 and 1..6. He outlined 4
    distinct possibilities, all of which had their partisans. Interestingly,
    Damian proposed the most draconian of all the possibilities for the
    default behaviour, arguing that it was the safest way to go. The
    suggestion was that you could call zip with an adverb to specify
    different behaviour. As you can probably guess, there was plenty of
    discussion.

    <http://xrl.us/hx2x>

  A listop, a block and a dot
    Miroslav Silovic asked about a corner case he'd run across while playing
    with pugs. It turns out that that slurpy context doesn't quite behave as
    he expected (or even as it should). Autrijus fixed it. He did, however,
    wonder about the precedence of

        f:{1}.()

    It turns out that Pugs does the right thing with this.

    <http://xrl.us/hx2y>

  Exceptuations
    Resumable exceptions continue to make p6l's branes hurt.

    <http://xrl.us/hx2z>

  Roles and trust
    Ovid made some observations about why he felt it would be good if Roles
    could specify trust. Luke wasn't sure it was necessary, Ovid was pretty
    sure it was. Your summarizer wasn't entirely sure what they were talking
    about.

    <http://xrl.us/hx22>

  "$value but lexically"
    Dave Whipp wanted to be able to attach a "but" property to a value in a
    way that would only make the property visible within the lexical scope
    in which it was declared. Luke thought it could be done with lexically
    scoped roles (because a property is just a role). It looked rather ugly
    to me, but that's life I guess.

    <http://xrl.us/hx23>

  Type annotations
    Autrijus convinced Luke that we have to nail down the semantics of type
    annotation without "use static". So, prior to nailing anything down,
    Luke posted a proposal and asked for arguments either way. Not
    surprisingly, he got several. It's a matter of when and how things
    should break if called with the wrong type -- some people want more
    compile time failures, others want more runtime coercion. The phrase
    'can of worms' springs to mind.

    <http://xrl.us/hx24>

  Sane (less insane) pair semantics
    You may remember a few summaries back, Luke posted a modest proposal
    about demagicalizing pairs. Ingo Blechschmidt posted the results of
    further discussion of this on the #perl6 irc channel. It all looks
    pretty sane to me. Discussion of corner cases ensued, and the proposed
    spec seemed to bear up pretty well. Certainly the initial response was
    favourable.

    <http://xrl.us/hx25>

Meanwhile, at @Larry
    Because so many of @Larry were tied up with the Perl Whirl, there was no
    Cabal meeting this week.

The Unusual Coda
  So long and thanks for all the fish
    Don't worry, I'm not about to stop writing summaries. However...

    Almost since my very first summary in 2002, these summaries have been
    published on the O'Reilly network's <http://perl.com/> website.
    Initially the fee got paid to the Perl Foundation and, more recently, to
    me (when I remembered to invoice them -- I've only just started
    invoicing for 2004. That waiting for the dollar to get stronger plan
    really worked for me. Not.)

    At the end of August our editor, chromatic, informed Matt and I that
    O'Reilly could no longer publish the summaries, effective immediately.
    Except, my mail system was dropping stuff on the floor at the time
    (perfect timing eh?). I only found out in the last week. Oops.

    So, we're currently without a publisher. My plan at present is to
    continue to send my summaries to the perl6-announce mailing list and
    publish my summaries on my own website in the (possibly vain hope) of
    increasing my AdSense revenue. Summaries will also continue to appear
    after the traditional 2 week delay on dev.perl.org

    What I could really use though, is a sponsor. Until last month, the
    Summary was my only regular paying gig; it didn't pay a lot, but it kept
    the wolf from the door. If you're interested in sponsoring these
    summaries, please get in touch

    [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- subscribe to Perl 6 announcements,
    including summaries

     -- The new home of my Perl 6 Summaries

  Acknowledgements
    I'd like to take this opportunity to thank my editors at O'Reilly,
    initially the prolific Simon Cozens and latterly the estimable
    chromatic. It's been fun. Hopefully we can do it again some time.

  Help Chip
    <http://geeksunite.org/> -- This must not stand

  The usual coda
    If you find these summaries useful or enjoyable, please consider
    contributing to the Perl Foundation to help support the development of
    Perl.

    <http://donate.perl-foundation.org/> -- The Perl Foundation

    <http://dev.perl.org/perl6/> -- Perl 6 Development site

    Check out the rest of my website, it's lovely.

    <http://www.bofh.org.uk/>

    Vaguely pretty photos by me can be found at:

    <http://xrl.us/hx26>

--
Piers Cawley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.bofh.org.uk/