From: Luke Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> But $1 in Perl 5 wasn't the same as $1 in a shell script.

Sure--but that's not what I said.

I'm all for breaking things that need breaking, which is why I keep my mouth
shut most of the time--either I see the reason or I suspect (that is, take on
faith, which is okay by me) there's a reason I don't see or fully understand.
I'm just not seeing a compelling reason for this one, and a pretty good reason
not to do it: I'm not aware offhand of any other place where $0 is used in
regex matching, and several of the languages which you point out are zero-based
in other places are not zero-based in regex matching.