=head1 Perl 6 Summary for 2005-10-10 through 2005-10-18

All~

Welcome to another Perl 6 Summary.  Sadly, this week's summary is not
brought to you by cookies as I already finished them.  Sadder still,
it is also brought to you a week late.  On the plus side, Mike
Doughty's "Haughty Melodic" is quite good.

=head2 Perl 6 Compilers

This was a shockingly high volume fortnight for p6c with 5 different
threads on it!

=head3 Feather:  A Retrospective

Juerd thought that now would be a good time to evaluate the usefulness
of feather to the community.  Warnock applies, but he probably found
answers off list...

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.compiler/browse_frm/thread/f14d8337b681d4a9/c95fc3fdf6d46f5b#c95fc3fdf6d46f5b
Google Groups : perl.perl6.compiler

=head3 PGE Better, Stronger, Faster

Patrick announced "significant internal updates" to PGE.  It looks
like things are coming along very nicely.  Yay, Patrick!

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.compiler/browse_frm/thread/10bff9a3100902a5/7135f5627205f9ca#7135f5627205f9ca
Google Groups : perl.perl6.compiler

=head3 PGE Now With Better Balance

Patrick also announced the subrule C<PGE::Text::bracketed> which is
similar to C<Text::Balanced> from Perl 5.  Now where, did I put my
darn push-down automata.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.compiler/browse_frm/thread/b52eb566b1b74920/19e4709aa8d2ecd6#19e4709aa8d2ecd6
Google Groups : perl.perl6.compiler

=head3 Object Space Thoughts

Stevan Little posted some of his thoughts about how the meta-model can
be built up from run time primitives.  It is pretty neat.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.compiler/browse_frm/thread/e97984486b61828b/f34b165f8a919dcf#f34b165f8a919dcf
Google Groups : perl.perl6.compiler

=head3 Parrot PMCs within Pugs

Christian Renz wondered how to get at Parrot's PMCs from Pugs.
Autrijus admitted that that feature was not currently available, but
offered a commit bit and suggested that adding tests would be a good
start.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.compiler/browse_frm/thread/2f09e7c0503ea02f/d200cbd33f975d1d#d200cbd33f975d1d
Google Groups : perl.perl6.compiler

=head2 Parrot

=head3 README.win32

Michael Cartmel fixed a few spelling errors in README.win32.  Joshua
Hoblitt applied the patch.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/38ef8ca32b5fab74/f5fdce20a19d50a9#f5fdce20a19d50a9
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 parrot-config.imc Documentation

Roger Browne offered a patch fixing documentation in
parrot-config.imc.  Warnock applies.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/2d86e5015608cb9e/43969cc2f25a0f7b#43969cc2f25a0f7b
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 Train Parrot to Flex

In the RT clean up, an old ticket has resurfaced.  Parrot needs to be
updated to use flex 2.5.31, which is incompatible with 2.5.4.  Patches
welcome.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/8dc8adf441fa6805/f24be3c94a3dfba7#f24be3c94a3dfba7
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 Dynamism Defeats Static Analysis

Patrick and I had a brief back and forth about detecting PGE
recursion.  The short answer is that it is possible in the static
case, but not in the face of changing rules.  Stupid halting problem,
where did I put my PDA.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/b08ed4ac97e3090c/d934e5866bdc9a43#d934e5866bdc9a43
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 void function return

Will Coleda is tired of special casing void functions and wants C<() =
function()> to be legal in PIR.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/c7e54dc1d2b887a9/74dcbe2b279de204#74dcbe2b279de204
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 Bison >= 1.75c

Joshua Hoblitt noticed that the newer Bisons have slightly different
error messages than older ones.  He felt that we should either
standardize on the newer bison or explicitly declare error messages.
No official ruling on which...

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/79e9151802ec9185/c9d1a7dd3236d16b#c9d1a7dd3236d16b
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 __set_pmc_keyed_*

Patrick needed a way to distinguish C<__set_pmc_keyed_int> from
C<__set_pmc_keyed>.  Leo gave it to him.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/e8f0cf140b05669a/9a125b4a7524b9f2#9a125b4a7524b9f2
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 HLL type mappings

Roger Browne wondered how he could set HLL type mappings from PIR.
Leo said it was not yet implemented or speced.  Roger suggested adding
a few opcodes.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/5f6e488e14b5b859/39be8e39b16b9d71#39be8e39b16b9d71
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 s/\@(directive)/:$1/g

Jonathan Scott Duff submitted a patch which swapped @directives to
:directives everywhere.  Leo applied most of it in several smaller
patches.  Language maintainers are encouraged to look over this patch
and apply appropriate portions to their languages.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/d0fd0e6824cbc74a/13ae0b79e9c553f6#13ae0b79e9c553f6
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 Cygwin Doesn't Smoke

Nick Glencross noticed that cygwin was having troubles submitting
smoke tests.  It appears bzip/gzip related.  He put out a request to
have C<Compress:Bzip2> installed on the smoke server.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/543d1c98d599d3c3/9862e551191a367a#9862e551191a367a
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 Obsolete Win32 Exports

Michael Walter found and removed some obsolete Win32 Exports.
Jonathan Worthington applied the patch.  Weren't we planning on auto
generating these?

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/5161afc845a9c048/c2204a5aa4abb714#c2204a5aa4abb714
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 Name Space is Dead; Long Live Namespace

Matt Diephouse announced the deprecation of get_name_space in favor of
get_namespace.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/ddb3bba634077c8d/496252734de3c217#496252734de3c217
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 split with a string

Jonathan Scott Duff posted a patch to split on strings rather than
regular expressions.  Warnock applies.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/79e0e60345217979/49961b1f96ba1d3d#49961b1f96ba1d3d
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 Typo Fixes

Nick Glencross fixed a few typos he found.  Will Coleda applied the patch.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/6a89cee8ea0c479a/a8349a945bba7680#a8349a945bba7680
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 __delete_keyed_int

Patrick submitted a patch adding C<__delete_keyed_int> support to
PMCs.  Warnock applies.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/db6f35ff9b249f49/35c911a33187bd30#35c911a33187bd30
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 Variable-sized Register Frames

Leo warned people that variable sized register frame changes were
starting to hit Parrot.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/5b0077a27df531b7/42d66ddeb1c6a841#42d66ddeb1c6a841
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 Leaky Parrot

Alberto Simões is having trouble with Parrot leaking memory and a bad
free.  Warnock applies.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/5ca71ec206772204/d6bf452421c9afc5#d6bf452421c9afc5
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 -0.0 Issues

Leo posted a patch for comment which updates some of our double
printing code to get around -0.0 issues.  Simon Vogl seemed happy with
the patch, but I don't know if it got applied...

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/ac9868b1636bbad4/e525f44a4f66462e#e525f44a4f66462e
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/cd59e41f14d017d7/3f5948de4d9e8fe0#3f5948de4d9e8fe0
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 Execute Permissions for Libraries

Joshua Hoblitt resurrected (and applied) an old patch from Nick
Glencross which sets execute permissions for libraries for some
platforms.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/90e840f04433bdb9/32fbd116b1008910#32fbd116b1008910
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 Fighting with a Tiger

Alberto Simões was having troubles with Tiger.  Jonathan Worthington
provided a little C wizardry, and Alberto was happy.  He asked to have
the patch applied, but Warnock did instead.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/39de276d71402cd9/28269791686ba344#28269791686ba344
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 More Tiger Issues

Alberto Simões found a new build problem on Darwin.  Jonathan
Worthington admits to making the problem and announced its fix.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/d85776efd3fdbbc0/e8554aa12c9e0c95#e8554aa12c9e0c95
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/2e00e6bc52573a6f/e28bce3e45ed8146#e28bce3e45ed8146
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 Debug Segments

Jonathan Worthington announced that he was making progress on his
debug segment work, but would soon half to dive into IMCC.  As a
slight corollary all existing PBCs were invalidated.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/4b38a1b42e00bc89/5d66bb20275a4eea#5d66bb20275a4eea
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 HP-UX mmap

Nick Glencross uncovered a mmap issue on HPUX.  Later, he posted a
patch to fix it.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/3653fb44f1d6c9ce/fa8ba049e0a887d7#fa8ba049e0a887d7
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/390aecc53a1e83eb/a6a624b201e1bdd6#a6a624b201e1bdd6
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 TODO - formats rt ticket names

Joshua Hoblitt has been going through RT fixing up tickets to have a
more standardized subject of the form "[TODO]
<subsystem/component/topic> - <summary of task>".  This will probably
make many lives easier.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/f29dd96bdd1283e4/80b1832e5ddc7ad3#80b1832e5ddc7ad3
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 HP-UX smoke tests

Nick Glencross skipped a few tests and set up a smoke test for HP-UX.
Joshua Hoblitt applied the patch.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/3ad4a74a3a98e1c1/a7b0d1cae01c774e#a7b0d1cae01c774e
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 Patch Resolution Checklist

Joshua Hoblitt suggested a checklist of things to do when resolving a
patch.  Leo thought that perhaps it would be better if RT were
scripted to do it automatically.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/a23b4708cde3de36/d8eb5334ba03cd9c#d8eb5334ba03cd9c
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 Handle Mixed Endian Doubles

Leo opened a todo for ARM mixed-endian doubles, apparently Parrot
doesn't handle them correctly.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/469c3ae133111eb0/29684702727e69bd#29684702727e69bd
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 Patches Accumulating

Leo warned that he was running low on tuits and that people with
commit bits should apply some of the, now piling up, patches.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/43408d0a27eda9a0/fe29289fd365e421#fe29289fd365e421
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 Copyright Confusion

Jonathan Worthington had some questions about the copyrights in
Parrot.  Allison Randal provided some cogent answers.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/1370350bb22d4308/e0ea40afc7f2eba5#e0ea40afc7f2eba5
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/c6b69e7718d96f69/9add159e356016eb#9add159e356016eb
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/d94b79a49f1f8059/3feaab277a3ba40c#3feaab277a3ba40c
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 IO Opcodes

IO opcodes will eventually be removed, thus tickets about them failing
will also be removed eventually.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/ddd6bf8e5d6b63dd/cad8b4f20dc0868c#cad8b4f20dc0868c
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 parrot_config dependencies

Nick Glencross has been working to relax Parrot's dependency on
parrot_config files.  Leo found a few issues, apparently more work is
needed.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/2139481b10c1da78/6c967b2630d1b8d1#6c967b2630d1b8d1
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 UUIDs for PBCs

Chip has declared that all pbc files will have a UUID in the header to
allow parrot to avoid leading multiple copies.  It sounds like people
are leaning toward using and MD5 or similar hash algorithm to generate
the UUIDs.  Although I am not sure that any official decision has been
made.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/cb8fb6f733ed0b00/e427b0109818f8f3#e427b0109818f8f3
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head3 Parrot.NET

Jonathan Worthington has decided to try translating .NET byte code to
PIR for his thesis.  Now he just needs a catchy name like .PET or
something.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.internals/browse_frm/thread/c7433c4554cfa2c5/9e47ccd9b3eb8518#9e47ccd9b3eb8518
Google Groups : perl.perl6.internals

=head2 Perl 6 Language

There have been some long threads here

=head3 Magical Pairs

Like Lord Farquaad, Ingo Blechschmidt set out to destroy magical
things (in Ingo's case pairs).  Like Farquaad, Ingo stirred up a lot
of controversy (or at least confusion).  Unlike Farquaad, Ingo
succeeded.  Thus, according to Larry "the compiler will be able to
determine at compile time which pairs are intended to be named
arguments and which ones positional parameters".

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/2d857fbca18f5c72/efde30a45f1982f4#efde30a45f1982f4
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 Complex Types

Sam Villain noticed that S06 is missing boxed complex types.  Larry
admitted that it was an omission, and Autrijus fixed it.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/41662a3f8429afaf/f7db55d44fe707a2#f7db55d44fe707a2
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 Multiline Comments

Alfie John wanted to know if parrot would support multiline comments.
Luke Palmer explained that it would in the form of POD comment blocks
that would not disturb the rest of the documents POD.  Alfie was
happy.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/45f5be3ca97d1d82/c495229e08ee248d#c495229e08ee248d
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 Roles and Trust

Ovid and Piers managed to come to what they felt was a satisfactory
conclusion to their issues with roles and trust, using my multi to do
the dispatch for them.  Piers, the ever summarizer friendly, posted
the results of the #perl6 discussion back to the mailing list.
Thanks, Piers!

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/ac7fde60ccb96cbe/22b3673a0d539a78#22b3673a0d539a78
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 C<err> the One Line Try Block

Austin Hastings decided that he liked the idea of having a single line
try/catch called err.  Perhaps it will catch on...

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/b3bce163daa0d7ea/297d5cbc79274684#297d5cbc79274684
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 Closed Classes Meet Religion

chromatic opened a can of worms when he claimed "Closed classes should
not exist".  Naturally this led to arguments about freedom and
commercial viability.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/a481533372293b29/d833c086c0e86bf4#d833c086c0e86bf4
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 What the is a submethod good for?

Luke Palmer asked a question that I know was on my mind: "What the is
a submethod good for?".  Damian posted an example that uses submethods
but does not answer the question.  Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon noted that
the use of them in BUILD could be subsumed into more powerful cascade
methods, which I like.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/a481533372293b29/d833c086c0e86bf4#d833c086c0e86bf4
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 Thoughts on Theory.pm

Dave Whipp, while reading theory.pod, wondered about automatically
testing and assert axioms (like pre and post conditions) on code.
This led to some discussion about the usefulness of randomly generated
tests.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/ee8c947da8d9a839/d992a506fe56afcb#d992a506fe56afcb
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 Inheritance of Class Methods

Stevan Little often makes my head hurt.  I think we should abandon the
whole metaclass system for a nice simple easily understood object
system like Javas.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/9b3852fbef4180c1/825b5b730a34cb31#825b5b730a34cb31
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/421db2414020edc6/bf56458c6400d661#bf56458c6400d661
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 Role and Class Merger?

Rob Kinyon wondered if Roles and Classes should be merged.  The
consensus was that while they might be very similar internally, they
signalled different intent and thus would remain separate.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/19b0d613192bd252/ed8f419d6836f85c#ed8f419d6836f85c
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 Migrating to Perl 6

Yuval Kogman started a migrating to perl 6 page on the pugs wiki.  The
basic intent is to have a book like this come out about the same time
as perl 6, with the wiki page serving as a sort of brainstorming
space.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/fcbac9ba4bbe3782/e55bcc826b2d93cf#e55bcc826b2d93cf
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 Graphical Primitives for Perl 6

Markus Laire wondered if Perl 6 would have any gui primitives in its
core library.  People felt that this would best be farmed out to a
library and people could use whichever library they wanted.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/546d02be5d25c3df/64792caa1cc97dd3#64792caa1cc97dd3
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 Making Wrong Code Type Wrong

Yuval Kogman posted an analysis of a JoelOnSoftware article about
using code tagging (marking variable names as safe or unsafe
manually).  Seems like a useful idea...

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/ffc11fdebbba5bbd/8335ad9bd6265c49#8335ad9bd6265c49
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 Selling Perl 6 to Academics

Uri Guttman has the chance to try and sell some CS faculty on Perl 6,
so he asked the list for some good selling points.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/c855dc80c28df8ff/c606810b09cce3c0#c606810b09cce3c0
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 S29 Problem

Aaron Sherman reported that his free time was running low and, as a
result, his S29 work was also slowing.  As a result he opted to narrow
the focus of his work and push on.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/c5720439110f180f/479aa14fa8d2f17f#479aa14fa8d2f17f
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 MetaModel Diagrams

In an cruel attempt to make my head hurt more, Stevan Little posted
some pretty diagrams of the metamodel in action.  Don't fall for his
ploy of making things more accessible so he can throw harder stuff at
you.  Resist checking the link.

http://perlcabal.org/~stevan/mm_viz/index.html -- pictures
http://perlcabal.org/~stevan/mm_viz/index.html

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/5ed6b8e2cc4a1a9b/aa30137ee6ffe7be#aa30137ee6ffe7be
-- posting
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 Transliterating Using Pairs

Peter Makholm was having issues with the transliterations of ranges do
to stringification issues.  Larry indicated that there => appeared to
be autoquoting its left argument a little to eagerly.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/384feb08ec4ab232/9d242a50a38f2868#9d242a50a38f2868
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 subclassing associated classes

Darren Duncan wondered how to make his pair of associated classes act
intelligently.  Larry, Stevan Little, Rob Kinyon, and Luke Palmer all
provided suggestions.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/16b3dbbfb419342a/c04499ca1a85d706#c04499ca1a85d706
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 Class::Role and Runtime Composition

Tim Bunce wondered if anyone would be able to hack in run time role
composition for the perl5 module Class::Role.  Warnock applies.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/e0fd2d1fee462403/216eea4dc05dd1a2#216eea4dc05dd1a2
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 New MetaModel

Rob Kinyon proposed a new meta model that is much closer to the
prototype paradigm.  Warnock applies.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/3b7f51083b8d839e/f0328ff817ddcd5b#f0328ff817ddcd5b
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 Module Version Syntax

Nicholas Clark wondered how he could get access to multiple different
versions of a module at once.  This spawned a lot of debate.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/8c53250f6676e19e/382367c9a26a1f71#382367c9a26a1f71
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 Perl 6 Fears

Juerd (probably inspired by some of the aforementioned debate) started
a list of Perl 6 Fears.  The idea being that, given a comprehensive
list of fears, we can efficiently assuage peoples recurring worries.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/cd1473f0de567925/4e1b3ebe898c05b2#4e1b3ebe898c05b2
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 Inheritable Class Methods?

Stevan Little proposed that class methods should not be inheritable.
This sparked a large debate which Stevan apparently lost (by his own
omission).

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/8f66ca405155cc97/dcc9daf13767acfd#dcc9daf13767acfd
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 C< ++ > should mean C< ++$_ >

Juerd wonderd about making more operations (like C<++>, C<+=>, and
C<x=>) all operate on $_ by default.  Response seems mixed but
favorable.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/9ef9173d6ab586b8/490144d7dd7da86f#490144d7dd7da86f
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 C< $_ ~~ bool::true >

Ilmari Vacklin noticed an error in S04 centered aroud given/default.
Luke Palmer and Larry agreed that it was a problem.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/93a3220242a26dc7/0a05e33dff79c0a8#0a05e33dff79c0a8
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 zipping several arrays

Mark Reed wondered how to zip several arrays given that zip was an
infix operator.  Luke Palmer explained that it was actually a listfix
operator like C<,>.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/3cb8bb881983b559/21152a256284c5e8#21152a256284c5e8
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head3 New Class Sigil ¢

Larry announced that there would be a new class sigil, namely ¢.  This
allows you to write functions like C< sub sametype (¢T $x, ¢T $y)
{...}  >.  People generally like the idea but not the charcter.  I
must admit that I agree with people.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_frm/thread/f026e181a6a599ac/66354fc1198e61d4#66354fc1198e61d4
Google Groups : perl.perl6.language

=head2 The usual footer

To post to any of these mailing lists please subscribe by sending
email to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  or
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.  If you find these summaries
useful or enjoyable, please consider contributing to the Perl
Foundation to help support the development of Perl. You might also
like to send feedback to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

L<http://donate.perl-foundation.org/> -- The Perl Foundation
L<http://dev.perl.org/perl6/> -- Perl 6 Development site
L<http://planet.parrotcode.org/> -- Parrot Blog aggregator