Luke Palmer wrote:
> I believe we've been through this before.  We go with a standard,
> probably IEEE, horridly mathematically unappealing though it may be.
> It will be easier to implement and it will be more predictable, both
> because most other language follow standards, too.

"The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose
from".  Which IEEE standard are we following?  754-1985? 854-1987?
754r-2006 (still under discussion)?

Also, would you be happy with different treatments of Int/Int versus
Num/Num?

        0/0     # fail "illegal division by zero"
        0.0/0.0 # NaN

That seems to follow from the standard (ruby, ocaml, mzscheme currently
does that), but some may also argue for NaN bothways (ghc, js) or an
exception bothways (perl5, python).

Audrey