On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 14:02:54 -0800, chromatic wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 February 2006 13:28, Yuval Kogman wrote:
>
> > Right now the biggest problem in Perl 6 land is project management.
>
> I disagree, but even if it were true, I don't think the solution is to add
> more project management and design to partition the process into even more
> subprojects of nebulous definition and dubious benefit.

Separation to subprojects was not what I meant.

I think the best way to describe it is to take concepts which I
think are correct for writing clean code:

        * separation of concerns
        * layering
        * prefer generic components to specific ones

and to try and apply them to Perl 6's design, which is a bit too big
for any implementation effort to complete as one whole unit.

If we have more steps and clearer milestones for whatever is between
parrot and the syntax/feature level design implementation will be
easier. One way to start creating these milestones is to try to
refactor the design of the language.

> If you *want* Perl 6/Scheme running on Spidermonkey, that's cool.  I just
> don't see an army of volunteers magically appearing to make it work, not in
> the least because it's Yet Another Rewrite From Scratch.

That was entirely not my point =(

De-facto we have people running PIL on javascript. It works more
than parrot does. The design of Perl 6 itself should be agnostic to
where people are developing backends IRL.

--
 ()  Yuval Kogman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 0xEBD27418  perl hacker &
 /\  kung foo master: /me wields bonsai kittens: neeyah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!