At 09:24 -0800 1/2/07, Larry Wall wrote:
>But I'm also still wondering whether a simpler approach is to declare
>that Num is a role that can encapsulate objects of class Int, Num,
>Rat, or Dec as necessary.  There also a lot to be said for simple...

Simple. . .  YES! but I'm in no position to help. Computer science has left me
way behind. But.... I do a lot of computing and I do like perl 5. In fact, I
use it on Mac OS neXt in preference to C or FORTRAN.

I fully understand floats, integers, complex, vectors, and big numbers and I
believe that's typical of folks who really use computers for computing. It
would be nice if perl 6 would allow me, the user, to specify in advance just
which numeric type I want. Incompatible usage would be an error that would be
politely objected to by the compiler.

How about a convention that integers begin with I, J, K, L, M, and N while
others are floats? Perhaps those letters by themselves would imply that they
are indexing quantities which should be assigned to hardware registers.

Yeah, that's just to show how old I am. But why not an optional typdef-like
facility in perl which would tell the compiler what I want? It could even be an
O-O style instantiation. Separate sigl's, perhaps but some unicode specials -
questionable. User-defined sigl's in a pragma? DIM statements?

$Lynn / $Jill

would be an integer divide using whatever arithmetic logic unit the machine in
use provides.

$Ross / $Todd

would be done with the floating point processor.

$Ross / $Lynn

would convert $Lynn to a float and return a float. See FORTRAN conventions to
continue.

--
-->  The greenhouse effect due to water vapor has never been fully modeled and
weather forecasting remains irreducibly complex. It is clear that global