Hello Thomas,
thanks for answering.

I fear the C<constant> declaration is not suitable
for the purposes I'm thinking of, since it sets
the value at compile time. And at compile time it
can't contact a database, unfortunately.

So, we need the assignment at runtime, but the sanity
check *latest* at compile time, I think.
What I suggest is almost or completely a capability
of the parser, rather than a feature of the compiler.
(Ehm, that was not a statement of a compiler expert!
I hope its not foolish)
The parser could prevent a second use of an assignment
operator on this explicitly readonly declared variables.

Its valuable to ensure the integrity of data till the end of (run)
time, and we could get it by declaration.
Come on, its a good idea, isn't it?

Kind Regards
 Stefan

 Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.